St Therese’s School is an integral part of the Cairns Diocese and the Edmonton Parish. Located just 20 minutes south of Cairns City, St Therese’s provides a Catholic primary education to an area that is currently referred to as the ‘growth corridor’ of Cairns. It is currently four streams and will reach full capacity in the coming few years.
The first Catholic school in Edmonton, Edmonton Convent School, was established by the Sisters of Mercy on 29 April 1929, with an enrolment of 30 students. Since those early days, the school has undergone many changes in its history and was renamed in 1965 to St Therese’s School.
In 1995, the school was relocated to its current position in Bentley Park where it has continued to grow to meet the growing enrolment numbers that have resulted from the development of residential areas south of the city. Today, it has an enrolment of over 600 students, Prep to Year 6. The school is proud of its rich historical story and indeed the facilities available to students in enabling a holistic and quality educational learning environment. In 2011 the school master plan was completed, following $5.5 million in combined capital projects undertaken as part of the Federal Government’s Building the Education Revolution program and planned facilities expansion.
Today, St Therese’s School has a welcoming feel to it and a group of highly dedicated and motivated parents and carers who genuinely assist with the provision of the best educational environment possible for their children, through their hard work and commitment. St Therese’s is also fortunate to be staffed by a strong group of dedicated teachers and school officers who continue the mission of Catholic Education begun so many years ago. It is a school which openly reflects, through its practices, the philosophy and values of its foundational partners who have, over the years, helped shape our school community – the Sisters of Mercy and the priests of the Cairns Diocese.
It’s with strong beginnings and the path of history that our school stands tall today with a sense of pride and tradition.
St Therese’s School’s tradition stems from the charisms of the Sisters of Mercy and their founder, Catherine McAuley. Catherine’s vision was to empower persons, especially poor young women and children, to improve their human situation through education and so have the opportunity to realise their potential. According to Catherine’s vision, education is an essential ingredient in the betterment of both individuals and society.
Through her abiding respect, love, and concern for the needy, Catherine demonstrated her commitment to the social justice dimensions of the Christian educational vision. For Catherine, loving the poor meant empowering them, especially through education, to become architects of their own future.
To learn more about the Sisters of Mercy and their continuing mission to realise the vision of Catherine McAuley, visit their website at www.mercy.org.au.
Today St Therese’s School strives to be a faith and learning community which celebrates God’s presence through our Mercy tradition, excellence in teaching and learning, and a strong partnership between family, staff and parish.
The Story Behind Our Sport Houses
Our values, history, classroom names and sporting houses are all connected.
MacKillop (Blue) House
Saint Mary of the Cross MacKillop is Australia’s first saint. MacKillop is named after Saint Mary MacKillop.
McAuley (Purple) House
Catherine McAuley, an Irish Sister, founded the Sisters of Mercy.
The Mercy sisters founded St Therese’s School in 1929 and staffed the school until 1976.
Lennon (Yellow) House
Monsignor John Lennon, prior to becoming Parish Priest of Edmonton in 1990 was Director of Catholic Education in Cairns. Monsignor Lennon is buried in the grounds of St Therese’s Church.
Phelan (Green) House
Reverend Father Joseph Phelan O.S.A. served thirty years in Far North Queensland. He built churches at North Cairns, the original Cairns Cathedral (now CES Head Office) and schools in Cairns, churches at Feluga, Lower Tully and Gordonvale, St Augustine’s College and the Bishop’s House at Cairns. He was transferred to Northern Victoria in 1936, returned to Ireland in 1951 and died there on the 19th August 1973, aged 93 years.